DWI Brownsville Attorney - What to do
If you’ve been pulled over in Brownsville or another south Texas community and are suspected of driving while intoxicated, what should you do? What shouldn’t you do? Your DWI attorney will have a better chance of winning your case if you cooperate with the Brownsville (or whatever community you are in) police department than if you cause further problems.
- DO cooperate with authorities
- DO be polite
- DO be respectful
- DO answer questions
- DO submit to a breath, blood, or urine test (refusing to do so leads to further penalties including automatic suspension of your driver’s license)
- DO perform the breath test properly, filling the device with as much air as possible. This is because volume of air is measured. Repeated failed tests due to inadequate air volume could lead police to believe that you are trying to fool the machine and a “refusal” to submit a breath test may be recorded
- DO call a DWI attorney ASAP
- DON’T try to get away or resist arrest. Not only will you have the DWI issue to deal with but other charges as well.
- DON’T assault the police officers or even verbally abuse them. Your actions may be recorded and they can be used against you, making it more difficult for your DWI attorney to win your case
- DON’T volunteer additional information. Stay silent unless asked a question and only answer the question itself. Keep additional details to yourself.
- DON’T assume that once you’ve been released, you are done with this issue. Contact an experienced DWI attorney ASAP! The legal process is not pleasant, but it must be taken care of promptly and with your best interests in mind.
Call a DWI attorney serving: Brownsville, Cameron County, San Benito, Port Isabel, Harlingen, McAllen, South Padre Island, and other south Texas drivers.